Super simple, cost effective and you can throw this whole meal together in a matter of minutes. Perfect for those busy nights when you forgot to defrost meat- hey we all have those days!!
Prior to really trying to expand our diet, I was a little nervous about canned salmon, but over the past little while I have a new found love for how easy and nutritious I can whip up something high in great fats, Omega 3’s and keeps us full long after we eat dinner.
When you are buying salmon, even though it is canned, still only look for wild caught and that it is canned in a BPA free material. This is the kind I use – click here for the link to buy it on Amazon.
Okay and now for the recipe!
Yields 4 Servings
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 Cucumbers, diced
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dill
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Medium Onion, minced very finely
- 2 160g Cans Salmon, wild caught and canned in a BPA free material
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs (or 4 pieces of bread, baked until thoroughly dry, then crumbled)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Mayo
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together all the Greek dressing items, add in chopped cucumber and set aside to marinate.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter, then add in onion. Saute onion until it is well browned.
- While the onion browns, open cans of salmon and dispose of skin and large bones.
- In a large bowl, mix salmon meat together with all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- When the onion is browned, add onion into salmon cake mixture and mix well. Leave behind as much browned butter in the skillet as you can when removing the onion.
- Shape patties about 5" in diameter, and only 1/2" thick. Place gently into the same hot skillet you sauted the onion in. Only turn patties once browned on the bottom to prevent them from falling apart.
- When brown on both sides, remove from heat and serve with salad on the side.