This recipe isn’t as new as I usually post, but it is a great one. I actually keep taco seasoned ground beef on hand most weeks. It makes for a super easy meal. For breakfast I just add it on top of a couple of scrambled eggs or steamed carrots. For lunch I will add it to some chopped lettuce or kale, or even just add a large avocado and eat just the meat mixed with avocado.
But this recipe is always a family favorite.
The great thing about this taco recipe is it uses completely whole ingredients. And only 7 of them. There are no sneaky chemicals or added sugar seasoning mixes. Just whole ingredients like tomatoes and green chilies to get the same great flavour.
So let’s get started.
First off, its just as easy as browning your meat. We eat a lot of beef because we live in Alberta and it’s Charles’ preference. But I have made this same recipe with ground chicken, lamb and bison. All have turned out awesome!
Once your ground meat has fully cooked, you just add the rest of the ingredients. This includes the chilies, tomatoes and spices.
Charles did the grocery shopping as I was sick with bronchitis at the time of cooking this up. So he bought fresh tomatoes, which can be easily used and worked great. Normally I am more lazy and prefer less hassle, so I normally use diced canned tomatoes. But both work just the same in the end, that’s just my Type A personality coming through a bit!
Stir well after you add your seasonings, and then while that cooks, you can prep your toppings and guacamole.
That’s all, once your taco meat is cooked, just layer everything in your lettuce cups. Or you could use whole wheat or corn tortillas, polenta or even zucchini noodles as your base. All will turn out great!
Yields 4 Servings
Serves 3 Tacos per person
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1.5kg (or 3.3lbs) ground beef (or could use, chicken, lamb, turkey, bison, etc)
- 1 can (127ml) Green Chilies (I use Old El Paso brand, can be mild, which are not spicy at all)
- 3 Tomatos, diced (or 14oz of diced tomatoes, no added salt)
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1.4 tsp Cumin
- 0.5 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce, washed and leave whole leaves intact
- 1 Green, Orange or Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Fresh Tomato, diced
- Half Red Onion, diced
- 1 Avocado, halved and peeled, pit removed
- 1 tbsp Salsa
- 0.5 tsp Onion Powder
- In a large skillet, brown your ground meat.
- Add chilies, tomatoes and all the seasonings. Mix well and let slowly boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
- While that cooks, prep your lettuce for the taco shells, and prep all your toppings.
- Prep your guacamole, just add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- When meat and seasonings all cooked through. Serve taco meat in a lettuce shell, with all your added toppings over top, including the guacamole.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!