This amazingly rich pasta dish has a quarter the amount of dairy in it then other options. Yet sacrificing none of the creaminess and delicious flavour.
Macaroni and Cheese is one of my favorite dishes! No matter if it comes from a box, or is made from scratch, my mouth starts watering at even the thought of it.
But the issue always becomes with the amount of gluten and dairy that is the traditional recipe, so today I am excited to share this recipe!
First off, a basic cheese sauce is a great skill to have. My aunt taught me how to make mine, and it’s how I get Charles to eat broccoli or just make steamed veggies of any kind more exciting. And it’s what inspired this recipe. Except, the original recipe used flour and cream, instead I now substitute the flour for tapioca starch and the cream for cashew milk (no worries, it sounds far fancier then it really is).
So now for how to make this great dish!
To start, you just need to melt the butter in the bottom of a large saucepan, when fully melted, add in the tapioca starch. The trick here to a creamy cheese sauce is to let the butter and starch boil and cook fully for a couple of minutes before adding in the cashew milk. This results in a super creamy cheese sauce with none of the grit or flavour of the tapioca starch.
Once that is done, you add in your cashew milk. Which sounds fancy, but really is just raw cashews thrown in the blender with water and pureed well. No straining needed after, just a really creamy milk substitute that I now use in everything because I can just quickly whip up a small amount whenever I need it. No more buying almond or expensive dairy substitutes then needing to rush to use it all before it expires.
Now with the cashew milk added, next step is to let that come to a boil and thicken, when that is complete. Add in your cheese and continually stir until the cheese is fully melted. Then remove from heat.
That’s all there is to homemade cheese sauce – super quick and easy. With that complete, just cook up your pasta and broccoli and your meal is done!
Here is the full recipe
Yields 6 Servings
35 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 2 tbsp Tapioca Starch
- 3/4 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tsp each Salt & Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cup Extra Old Cheddar Cheese, thinly sliced (260 grams)
- 4 Servings Gluten Free Pasta (or regular wheat flour pasta)
- 3 Broccoli Crowns, cut into bite sized pieces
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add in tapioca starch, let cook for 3 minutes at a slow boil
- In a blender make cashew milk by pureeing raw cashews with the water.
- Add to saucepan, and bring sauce to a boil to allow it to thicken.
- Add in cheese, salt and pepper. Continually stir in cheese until fully melted. Then immediately remove from heat and set aside.
- Fill a large pot half full of water, bring to a boil. Add in pasta and cook as per the directions provided on the package.
- In a separate large saucepan, steam broccoli in 2" of water until fork easily pierces the stem and they are vibrant green.
- Mix pasta and broccoli together, add in cheese sauce and stir well.
- Serve and enjoy!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and access to extra freebies, tips and tricks & promotions.